Saturday, August 14, 2004

Day -6

Not much new again. This morning, my WBC was at 1.4, my hemoglobin (Hgb) was 10.3 (up because of the transfusion of 2 units of packed red blood cells), and my platelets (Plt) were 57. The only explanation I could get for why the WBC was up was that it was probably the steroids they gave me. My absolute neutrophil count (ANC) was up from 0 to .2 and if it were to get to .5, I would not be considered neutropenic anymore, but that’s not likely to happen. The ANC is probably the best indicator of my ability to fight bacterial, fungal, and viral infections.

One of my kids was here today and asked me in the presence of a nurse whether I was getting a lot of drugs. I answered with an emphatic YES, and the nurse quickly said NO. In my world, where I hardly ever even take analgesics, I am taking a huge amount of drugs every day. In her world, there are BMT patients who are taking a lot more. Somewhere I read that some people can be taking up to 25 different drugs simultaneously.

I am still feeling really no effects from the chemotherapy, and the medical staff all say that they would expect the first 4 days to be that way. The second chemo drug they give me on the last 2 days of chemotherapy is a bit rougher.

Maybe the best news is that I just got connected to the internet (it’s actually 2:30 Sunday morning). I know that there are a number of people who rely on this to keep up, so I wanted to get it done. I should be able to keep up pretty well now.

Love actually…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin,
I finally found this site yesterday and really appreciate your willingness to update everbody. I was particularly moved by the post "Some good things..." You DO have great kids. We missed you at church today. We've thought of you often this week and so it's nice to read how you are doing. Take care.

bless you,
cory

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home