Thursday, March 03, 2005

Day 195

Another regular biweekly clinic appointment happened today and all seems to be going very well. Although I didn’t expect the results of the bone marrow biopsy/aspiration until next week, they had the results and for the third time (out of three) since the transplant, the chimerism studies (including DNA) show 100% donated bone marrow. The doctor seemed more pleased with the results this time than he was the other 2 times. I figure it’s either because he often sees the results after 6 months show other than 100% donated marrow even after earlier results showing 100%, or else he was just in a better mood today than earlier. My blood counts were OK.

WBC – 2.9, down from 3.3 last week and definitely sub-normal
Hgb – 11.0, down from 11.1 and a little below normal of 14 – 18
Plt – 202, down from 220 and in the normal range still
AST-SGOT – 41, down from 49 with 42 being normal
ALT-SGPT – 52, down from 76 with 40 being normal

The last 2 are liver enzymes and lower is better. They are both way down from 4 weeks ago when they were 65 and 115 respectively. Because they are down so far, I asked the doctor if he was considering cutting back on the Cellcept which he added because of the liver distress. He said he was going to leave it at the current level (4 pills a day) until the enzymes are down to normal levels, and then he would try cutting by one pill every 2 weeks. All the other meds are also staying at their current levels.

Dr. T said I was doing very well, as enthusiastically as I can remember him saying so. I said to him that I was guessing we were just waiting for my new immune system to become accustomed to its new host and he agreed. He said he hoped to start getting me off my meds in 2 or 3 months. In one sense, it seems like a bit of a long time because it comes after 6+ months of post-transplant recovery already. But mostly, I feel like if it happens that soon, I’ll be ecstatic. Two or three months can pass rather quickly these days.

Interestingly, I got a really runny nose on Sunday, but by Tuesday, it was pretty much gone and hadn’t turned into a sore throat or coughing or sinus congestion or anything. I’m not sure whether to credit the part of my immune system that is functioning or the myriad medications I’m on or both, but I’m grateful that I’m still not getting sick. I’m also still trying to be cautious about crowds and germs, and feel like I need to guard against getting lackadaisical due to feeling so good and not getting sick.

Your friend, getting better,
Justin

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin,
Been catching up a bit on your status. I am just coming out of a 4 month chemo/radiation treatment and am now scheduled for surgery on 3/17 (for that ugly tumor in my lung) although I did get over 50% shrinkage. I stopped having expectations of recovery times and how I was progressing. People tell me "Your gonna be fine" and I reply "Yes, for today, but you never know" The difference is, I just don't worry about tomorrow till I get there. I have cancer, but life is very good today!
Say "hey" to Hugh!
Marianne Kettenburg-Bensel

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home