Thursday, November 25, 2004

Day 97

My clinic appointment is normally on Thursday (today), but since that is Thanksgiving this week, I went in yesterday. My blood counts were good, with the WBC going down to 3.7, but still in a good range. I took Neupogen just once last week (down from 2 and 3 times per week), and the doctor said to try cutting it out altogether this week. Also, my absolute neutrophil count was at 2.8, which is very good.

WBC – 3.7
Plt – 204
Hgb – 11.3
ANC – 2.8

In my previous blog entry, I noted that since some of my GvHD symptoms had subsided, I decided (with the doctor) to not start taking the Prednisone he had prescribed. Well, I continued to feel better all week, so I never started the Prednisone, and yesterday, the doctor said that it was probably a good decision. I believe that steroids like Prednisone, if taken over long periods, have significant unintended negative effects, so not starting it until really needed is good. I do still have a mild skin rash accompanied by mild itching, but it is quite bearable for now.

The PA asked me how I was doing psychically/emotionally. I told her that I was doing OK, but that I was feeling more how long a haul it is. This home confinement has been going on for 3 months now and I have some unknown number of months left. It’s not terrible, but I feel a little like the convict who is sentenced to home confinement, except that I don’t have the ankle bracelet. I told the PA that I am increasingly missing some of the foods that are restricted for me. She asked for an example, so I said I would love to have a hoagie for instance. She said that maybe in another week or two, I could treat myself to one, but it still can’t become a regular thing in my diet. I also miss salads and fresh fruits.

This being Thanksgiving Day, there are two things that are prominent in my mind for which I am especially thankful. I thank the Lord for life itself and for so many family and friends whom I love and who love and support me in return.

Love,
Justin

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Justin,

Just a note to let you know that we are still thinking about you and praying for you every day. I had no idea that there would be such a long period of uncertainty about which way things would be going after the transplant. I hope you are able to keep up your positive attitude as it drags on and on. I am thankful to know you and have you as our friend. I wish you steady improvement and hope your home confinement will not go on too long. Does it mean that you can't have any visitors, or just that you should not venture out into crowds?

Best wishes,
Val Rogers

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home