Thursday, October 28, 2004

Day 69

I just got back from my weekly clinic appointment and the news was basically good. The chimerism studies of both my blood and bone marrow still show 100% donated marrow with no other evidence of MDS or AML such as excess blasts or misshapen cells. The only abnormality is that in the bones, they would like to see 50% marrow, which I believe is normal, and mine is 30 – 40%. The doctor said this is not terribly unusual and is probably not the cause of my low WBC.

My blood counts for today were:
WBC – 1.4 (down again from 1.8 last Friday)
Hgb – 11.2 (holding steady)
Plt – 198 (also holding steady)

Also, I asked about my ANC (absolute neutrophil count) and was told that last week it was .8 which means I am not neutropenic (which is below .5).

There is still concern about what is happening to my white blood cells. The doctor says that they have a list of possible causes that they go through to try to determine what the problem is.
First they look at the possibility of MDS or leukemia relapse and in my case they are ruling that out for now because of the bone marrow biopsy and aspiration results
Next, they look at drugs that could cause the problem, and the only adjustment they made in my medications was to take me off my broad spectrum antibiotic and put me on penicillin plus another old antibiotic that they apparently used to use for leprosy
The third possibility is that my body (probably the lymph system) is producing antibodies that are targeting the white blood cells specifically. The body can produce antibodies against any organ or body part (an autoimmune disease) such as with arthritis where antibodies attack joints. The doctor thinks this is strongest possibility for the cause of my low WBC and I’m going back to the clinic on Monday to have blood drawn and sent out to test for antibodies (they only test on Mondays). This test would only be conclusive if positive; a negative result would not mean that antibodies are not the problem.

I’m starting to get more appreciation for how different every patient and every bone marrow transplant is for these doctors. This is why they can’t begin to predict how things will go. My marrow or blood seems to be having some problems, but I could never tell by how I feel because I haven’t felt better since the transplant than I do now. My appetite is good, I’m sleeping OK, my energy level is as good as it’s been (although I can’t sustain most activities for long), I have no nausea or diarrhea, no pain anywhere, no fever for weeks, etc. My cold even seems to have gone away.

So here are a few of the things for which I am currently grateful (not in a particular order):
I’m feeling relatively well
My current problems don’t seem to be really serious
Competent medical care.
My wife who takes such good care of me and suffers through the ups and downs of the process with me
Friends and strangers who support me and pray for me and my family

I’ll write again when I know anything more.

Love,
Justin

P.S. I believe today is the day that Eric in South Africa (who commented here a few times) was scheduled for his bone marrow biopsy. Please join me in praying for him and his family.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin this is Gail Eric's wife. Have been reading your updates and continue to pray for your future success in the program. It has been informative and has given us an idea of more or less what to expect.
Eric started his oral chemo, Busulfan, on Thursday until Sunday 19h00. Monday-Friday he has IV chemo and transfusion Monday 8th. Thanks for thoughts and prayers.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home