Sunday, September 05, 2004

Day +16

Well it’s Sunday evening at the hospital (more or less real time now). It’s been a good day with no high fever yet (8:30 PM), plus I was able to eat something.

The doctor this morning said they won’t know much about the cause of my fevers and loss of appetite until the cultures have cooked a while longer. He said the problem could still be an infection, but it also could be the start of GVHD. If it is GVHD, we should soon see another symptom like skin rash, diarrhea, or a liver problem (jaundice?), and if any of those show up, they will biopsy the appropriate organ. So far, I have no other symptoms. The third possibility is that the drugs could be causing the problems, although I’m not sure which would be the potential culprits. He sort of indicated that if the cultures are negative, I may go home Tuesday, but also said that if I was still here Friday, they would probably do the bone marrow biopsy here. I’m voting for going home on Tuesday.

This evening, the nurse said the cultures are still negative, so it may have been unnecessary to remove the Hickman catheter.

WBC – 5.9
Hgb – 10.1
Plt – 113

Love,
Justin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home