Sunday, August 29, 2004

Day +9

Today was a bit better than yesterday. I didn’t have the persistent headache and I had a little appetite. I did sleep a lot again. One of my theories about the sleepiness is that my body is diverting energy to doing other things like engrafting new bone marrow and creating blood again. My counts did show evidence of new bone marrow working, especially in the absolute neutrophil count which had been at 0 for 5 days and this morning was at .7. Technically, this means I am no longer neutropenic, but the doctor wanted to keep the neutropenic precautions for another day. The doctor also said that there was nothing out of the ordinary and things seemed right on track. This evening, I did get a flush feeling in my head along with a little bit of a headache. It’s like the feeling I usually get when the platelet transfusions first start, so I wonder if it could be from the engrafted bone marrow creating platelets or something.

I got another platelet transfusion today, and it sounds like it was mostly because they had platelets that were going to expire soon and they didn’t want to waste them. So it wasn’t so much that I needed them, it was more like giving them to someone was better than throwing them out. Interesting.

WBC 0.7
Hgb 8.5
Plt 26 (48 after transfusion)
ANC 0.7


Still hoping to come home later this week …

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin -

Been thinking about you often. Sounds like you are surrounded by a caring family, a wonderful group of friends, and countless people who are praying for your full recovery.

Take care Justin.

Wishing you well,
Derek Edwards

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling a little better. Those last two days sounded like your toughest ones so far. We were thinking about you this weekend.

Sleep is always a good thing for a healing body. And the olympics are over, so why not sleep? (Unless you like tennis, or republican national conventions...)

Take care,

We love you,

Cathy and Grant

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home