Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Day +11

They’re still saying I’m coming home tomorrow! Please understand that this does not mean we’re completely out of the woods. We still don’t know what graft vs. host disease is going to look like or involve, and I’ll be on immune-suppressant drugs that will leave me vulnerable to all kinds of bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Still, I’m really glad to be coming home.

For those of you watching my blood counts, notice the WBC and ANC counts. I haven’t seen these levels at all in the 3 ½ years I’ve been going to the hematologist. I got 2 units of packed red blood cells today “for the road”, and the doctor says that the platelets only dropping from 29 to 27 with no transfusion may indicate that the new marrow is starting to produce platelets pretty well. I asked the doctor about what it is the immune-suppressant drugs suppress. He said they don’t suppress the neutrophils, they suppress primarily the T-cells which are what attack foreign bodies. They are what cause the GVHD and are also what attack the leukemic bone marrow, so it is a tricky balance to get enough attacking to see the graft vs. leukemia, but not so much that the GVHD is bad. I believe the T-cells also are involved in attacking infections, so that’s why we must be so careful about not exposing me to infections of any kind.

I had a good day. My appetite improved a little during the day so that I ate almost all of my dinner. Also, it is 6:30 PM and I have not started to feel any worse.

WBC 3.5
Hgb 8.3
Plt 27
ANC 2.6

Someone asked what “normal” counts are – it’s a good question. If my memory serves me correctly (and don’t forget that I’m 52 years old), my WBC is actually approaching a normal range whose minimum is around 3.5 or 4.0. The lower end of the normal range for Hgb I believe is around 15, although it might be a bit lower than that. Platelets should be around 250 or 300 I believe to be considered normal, although I don’t think anyone worries much about any counts that are at least 100. I’m actually not sure what a normal ANC is.

It’s hard to believe I might be home tomorrow, and again, I thank all of you for your love and support which helped me get through this so well and so quickly so far.

Love,

Justin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Justin, I'm starting to be able to hear your voice in your written words again...you must be feeling better. So happy for the progress and hope to see you home soon. Love,Jenny

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin,
This is really exciting news.
Lots of love,
Rakhi & Sudeep

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin - hope you're at home reading this. You are in my thoughts and family prayers. Love and hugs - Justine

2:41 PM  
Blogger Ee said...

hi, stumbled upon ur blog, i have also just gone through my stem cell transplant. No worries for you, i think u are doing way better than what I have been through =) ... i am now in my +180s ...

regards
shanice from singapore.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home