Monday, September 06, 2004

Day +17

Today was the first day in a while where my temperature stayed below 100°. In addition, my blood cultures have all continued to come up negative. As a result, there is a good chance I will be able to come home again tomorrow. The main thing that would prevent it is if something like another fever or GVHD shows up between now and tomorrow morning. It feels much better to have no fever and be able to eat something. The other thing they are likely to do before I leave tomorrow is install some kind of new line – either another Hickman catheter or what they refer to as a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) line which is put in the upper arm and threaded through a vein to the jugular. It is a central line and is much easier to install, but only has one lumen (line), whereas the Hickman has three lumens.

I may also have to continue my antibiotic (called Vancomycin) for another week or two because they’re not convinced that my fevers were not caused by some kind of infection. One interesting tidbit I learned about this antibiotic is that while I thought it was a powerful antibiotic because it was the third one they gave me, the doctor says it is not considered powerful, but is good at fighting the kind of blood infection I had (called MRSE), whereas penicillin is not. It actually doesn’t kill bacteria as much as just keep it from spreading, allowing the immune system to knock out the existing infection. I like that idea.

They doctors are very pleased with my blood counts, especially the platelets, and feel I probably won’t need transfusions any more.

WBC – 4.1
Hgb – 10.5
Plt – 122

It would be nice to go home tomorrow.

Love,
Justin

Eric Masson,
I’ve marked October 28 on my calendar and I along with many others who read this blog will keep you in our thoughts and prayers prior to, during, and after your transplant. I’m convinced it helps. If you’d like to email me directly, feel free to do so at jkhyatt[at]bluehen.udel.edu (replacing the [at] with @).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
too bad you have had to go through all this, but it seems that you will be able to be on your porch very soon to enjoy the coming beautiful fall weeks. Val and I said the other day that we hope you will soon be seen cycling up Byberry again as usual, but maybe not quite this week yet! We all have a really good feeling about how this is going. I will be waving to you as I walk by- I am walking a couple of dogs again past your house just about every day! Love to you and your family from Helena C.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin,

I hope that you made it home from the hospital on Tuesday and that you are feeling better. We miss you here. I was going to come visit you tonight at home, but since you didn't update the blog, I wanted to make sure you had come home first. I also want to make sure that you are feeling up to it before I just drop in. Can you tell me the best times to stop by (weekends vs. weeknights)? Praying for you....

Love,

Marie

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home