Monday, August 23, 2004

Day +3

Once again, it was a day much like the last several with no appetite and periods of weakness. I was told early on that Day +3 is when the patient often starts to feel worse because of chemotherapy effects and neutropenia. Either I started feeling worse over the weekend with the loss of appetite, or I haven’t started feeling worse yet. Either way, I consider it a victory. My primary oncologist, whom I haven’t seen much because he is not on rotation this month, stopped in today and when I said I had no appetite but didn’t really feel nauseated, he said that actually is a form of nausea. I’m trying to change my usage from “feeling nauseous” to “feeling nauseated” because strictly speaking, nauseous means causing nausea and I hope I’m not doing that.

I’ve been here 12 days now, and if all goes well, I could be out in 11 days, which would put me past the halfway point. Even if I’m not out in 11 days, it feels good to think about being possibly past the half way point for the hospitalization.

WBC .3
Hgb 8.7
Plt 29
ANC .1

For those of you paying attention to my counts (if any), you’ll notice my WBC and ANC have both dropped off noticeably. This is expected.

Your friend with the new bone marrow growing …

4 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

I am in awe of your courage; and I like your goal of getting off the drugs as soon as you can. Keep up the good work.
Your friend in the blogger world,
Deb (north of Seattle)

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Justin!
Just checking in and seeing so much has been happening.Half way marks are good! I'm happy to see you are doing so well and we are continuing to send healing thoughts.It was a glorious day outside and I'm hoping somehow the sun's warmth and clear air also infilterated your new marrow! Keep up the good work!
With Love,
Mary McCollum

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Justin,

Way to go!!! I am so happy that you are doing so well. I just knew that your great attitude would really help you through this. I bet you start growing new marrow in record time. I am praying for you to continue to feel relatively well, and that you will start feeling actually well ASAP. May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Love Val

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin -
Sorry you are being nauseated. Just be reassured that you aren't nauseous!

Thanks for the good morning chuckle!
Love & prayers for you and yours,
Marcia Clifford

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home